Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Wednesday thoughts

It's funny how much you can learn about something without even thinking about it. I remember when I first met Mateo and he told me he was from Colombia.. I know my first thought was: Latin America, yes... but what else..?!! My second thought was: Shakira is from Colombia. Now, over two years later I can proudly say I know a lot more about this country than many others. I know there is a lot more to learn but it takes time. Here are some interesting facts about Colombia I'm sure you didn't know:

  • First of all; it's Colombia, not Columbia
  • Colombia is the 26th biggest country in the world
  • More than 47 million people live here  
  • It's the only country in South America with coastline on both the Pacific Ocean and the Caribbean Sea
  • Colombia has the most bird species in the world
  • There are more fruits than there are days in a year - yum!! 
  • Colombia is one of the most biodiverse countries in the world 
  • Over 60% of the most expensive emeralds are produced in Colombia
  • Colombia is a leading supplier of flowers to the United States - just for Valentine's Day more than 500 million tons of flowers were shipped over
  • Bogotá has the most extensive network of bike lanes in Latin America
  • Colombia is the second biggest coffee producer in the world
  • The national flower is the orchid

The Colombian flag and Hako

No comments:

Post a Comment